These resources are accessible to registered users only.
Am I eligible?
For BC Independent Schools:
Accessible Resource Centre - British Columbia
Providing BC Educators with Alternate Format Materials for their Students with Perceptual Disabilities
The Accessible Resource Centre – British Columbia is a BC Ministry of Education funded response to the increasing demand for digital or alternate format alternatives to print in BC classrooms. The goal of ARC-BC is to provide BC students with perceptual disabilities and the educators supporting them with high quality digital alternate format materials based on the BC K-12 curriculum.
ARC-BC is managed by PRCVI (Provincial Resource Centre for the Visually Impaired) and works in consultation and partnership with BC school districts, other alternate format producers, and publishers to provide recommended and requested materials in a timely manner.
Thank you to the users who completed the ARC-BC survey. Your feedback is extremely important to us. The survey results provide us with data required by the Ministry of Education and the feedback is also very important to the ARC-BC provincial team, as we strive to continually improve the service we provide to you and your students. Congratulations to 25 winners of the ARC-BC Annual survey prize draw.
A couple reminders to all ARC-BC users:
If you are retiring or leaving your school district at the end of June, please inform your ARC District Contact. Your District Contact's email information can be found on the ARC Contact page.
We continue to add new books to the repository and new file formats. It is always important to plan ahead, so if you know about particular titles(s) that your student(s) require for September 2016 please follow these steps:
- Search the ARC-BC repository for the title in the format you require
- If the required title is in the ARC-BC repository but the notation indicates that it is [In Production] please contact email@example.com to have it added to the high priority production list
- If the title is available in the repository, but NOT in the format you require, or is not currently available in any formats, then submit a Request a Title or New Format Form. (Please note that high school science and math texts are only produced in kes level 1 format due to time and production software constraints)
- We will notify you if we do not have a copy and you will then need to donate the book in order to initiate the scanning and production process. The book must be relatively new with crisp, clean pages and no markings, folds or tears. Your donated book will be catalogued, have the spine cut off and sent through a high speed scanner to capture the images necessary to produce the requested alternate format(s). The book(s) will not be returned to you and they can be shipped to:
Attn: Susan Hannigan
106-1750 West 75th Avenue
Vancouver, BC V6P 6G2
- Once the title is posted on the ARC-BC repository, we will notify you by email that files are available to download
Thank you for taking the time to support ARC-BC. Wishing you a wonderful summer!
The ARC-BC Provincial Team