Word is Microsoft’s word processing program that is part of the Microsoft Office suite of products. Although Word is designed primarily for word processing, it contains a variety of reading tools. Reading features include the ability to adjust fonts and background colour, and a read-aloud feature with text highlighting. Word is also accessible using the VoiceOver screen reader in iOS.
Learning Tools features are only available with an Office 365 subscription and, for iOS devices, are only available on iPad (not smaller devices). Microsoft Word for iOS can be downloaded from the Apple App Store.
Sensory Access Features
- Adjust font type, size, and colour
- Select from pre-set page themes
- Line focus feature highlights only the current line(s) being read
- Have text read aloud
- Compatible with VoiceOver screen reader
- Display text in braille when used with VoiceOver and a refreshable braille display
Text Highlighting and Note-Taking
- Add text highlights and comments
- Use grammar tools that highlight syllables and parts of speech