Word is Microsoft’s word processing program that is part of the Microsoft Office suite of products. Although Word is designed primarily for word processing, it contains a variety of reading tools and works well with screen reading software such as NVDA. Reading features include the ability to adjust fonts and background colour, read aloud with text highlighting, and the ability to navigate through text by heading. All Word features are accessible with keyboard commands.
Learning Tools features are only available with an Office 365 subscription. Microsoft Word for Windows can be purchased or installed by visiting the Office 365 Login page.
Sensory Access Features
- Adjust font type, size, spacing, and colour
- Select from pre-set page themes
- Line focus feature highlights only the current line(s) being read
- Have text read aloud
- Compatible with NVDA and JAWS screen readers
- Access all features with keyboard commands
- Read text in braille when used with NVDA or JAWS and a refreshable braille display
Text Highlighting and Note-Taking
- Add text highlights and comments
- Use grammar tools that highlight syllables and parts of speech